There are several yoga poses to reduce hip and tummy flab specifically. In addition to practicing these particular poses several times a week, remember that all yoga poses will strengthen muscles and tone them for a longer, leaner look. In addition to the muscular benefits of yoga, the breathing exercises of yoga have a positive effect on fat deposits around the middle of the body.
Reducing Fat with Yoga
Breathing techniques in yoga help relax the body and the mind. The more oxygen circulating in your body, the more chance your body has to reduce toxins in the body. The stress hormone cortisol is a significant contributor to fat around the middle area of the body. The breathing techniques of yoga reduce the level of cortisol in the human body, which in turn reduces fat storage in the body.
The following yoga poses will help reduce the amount of fat that is already on the tummy and thighs, but preventing additional fat from finding its way to this region is another important factor. Let each breath out slowly and evenly for the best results from yoga breathing techniques.
Yoga Poses to Reduce Hip and Tummy Flab
The following poses can reduce hip and tummy flab if practiced regularly. Daily practice, or at least three to four times a week, will offer positive results.
One of the best yoga poses for the stomach is Bow Pose. For beginners, this is not a good pose to start with; however, once a foundation in yoga has been established, this pose offers great results for the core area of the body.
- Lying flat on the ground on your stomach, bend your knees until your feet are above your knees.
- Reach both of your hands behind you and into the air to grab your ankles.
- Stretch into the posture by lifting up your knees, which brings your body into the full Bow Pose.
Cobra Pose is a good yoga pose to tackle before heading straight into Bow Pose - note the picture at the top of the page.
- Start by lifting your chest up off of the ground.
- It may feel more natural to achieve this pose by rounding your upper back, but the most benefit you can gain from the pose is from bending the lower back.
- Keep the elbows close to the sides as you straighten the arms.
- Uncurl the toes so the top of the foot lies flat on the floor.
This pose strengthens the back muscles of the core, as well as stretching and opening the tummy area.
Standing Forward Bend
This forward bend done from a standing position can help circulation in the core area, strengthen muscles on the front and back of the core, and loosen the hip joints. It is also a great stretch for the backs of the legs, and one of the very best yoga poses for relaxation.
- Standing straight, with feet hip distance apart (easier) or together, slowly bend forward, hinging from the hips.
- As your upper body lowers, curve your back in order to bring your head near your knees or calves. This version of the pose takes some flexibility!
- For modifications, bend as far forward as you can and then hold there, with props if need be.
- When you start coming out of this pose, it is essential that you contract your abdominal muscles and lift from your core. Toned stomach muscles are one effect of practicing this pose regularly.
Triangle Pose has several benefits and can target both the stomach area and the thigh region. The standard pose can also be done with a twist added, which gives an added benefit for the oblique abdominal muscles.
- Standing in Mountain Pose, turn sideways and move your feet considerably wider than hip distance apart.
- Turn the toes of your left foot all the way to the side, and keep your right foot pointing forward.
- Extending from your hips, bend over the left leg until your hand reaches the ground (use a block or other prop if necessary).
- Hold the pose to stretch and tone several muscle groups.
Done with a twist, Triangle Pose is an even better yoga pose to reduce hip and tummy flab. In the twist version of the pose, you will keep both feet pointing straightforward and then reach your right hand to the ground on the left side of your left foot. Work your way slowly into this pose; use props if necessary.
As you perform all of these yoga poses, remember to practice yoga breathing while doing so, which will enhance muscular benefits as well as help you to further reduce the amount of fat in your body.