A good yoga studio should feel like a second home, a place you want to visit again and again. If you live in the Windy City or are planning a visit soon, learn more about Chicago yoga schools to keep your practice honed and polished.
General Yoga Schools
The following Chicago-area yoga schools are popular:
- Moksha Yoga has an extensive selection of yoga classes in all disciplines, including Mysore and Tantra-Hatha. The center also hosts events such as musical performances and guest speakers as well as extensive workshops. Three locations in the Chicago area: 700 N. Carpenter, Chicago, IL 60622, (312) 942-9642 (Riverwest area), 3334 N. Clark, Chicago, IL 60657, (773) 975-9642 (Lakeview area), and 1 E. Oak St., Chicago, IL 60611, (312) 587-7492 (Gold Coast area).
- Yoga Now One of the most comprehensive Chicago yoga schools, this organization offers everything from Ananda Ma yoga to Yin yoga. There are two locations: 5852 N. Broadway, Chicago, IL 60660, (773) 561-9642 (Edgewater area) and 742 N. LaSalle Chicago, IL 60610 (312) 280-9642 (Gold Coast area).
- The Chicago Yoga Center Directed by Suddha Weixler, the faculty at the center teaches Hatha yoga, the more technical Iyengar method, intense Ashtanga yoga and Yin yoga. 3047 N. Lincoln Ave., Unit 320 Chicago, IL 60657-4274, (773) 327-3650.
- Bloom Yoga Studio specializes in Hatha and Yin classes for beginners through advanced, prenatal yoga and "mom and baby" yoga. Led by husband and wife Zach and Kerry Maiorca, this studio features a convenient online monthly schedule. 4663 N. Rockwell, Chicago, IL 60625, (773) 463-YOGA.
Specialized Yoga Schools
Looking for something more specific? Try one of the following:
- Soham Yoga For those interested in exploring Chicago yoga schools offering Kundalini yoga or Qi-Gong, this is the place to be. 922 N Damen Ave, Chicago, IL. 60602, (312) 409-1416 or (312) 715-5139.
- Yoga Circle specializes in the Iyengar method of Hatha yoga and accommodates any level of expertise with a multitude of class options. Directed by Gabriel Halpern. 401 W. Ontario, Chicago, IL 60610, (312) 915-0750.
Updated Information on Chicago Yoga Schools
A more comprehensive and continually updated listing of yoga classes can be found on the Yoga Chicago site. This site also has a teacher directory, a class breakdown and various articles practitioners of all levels will be interested in reading.
You may also try Yoga Finder to search for a teacher or class in the Chicago area.